Learn How to Make Cauliflower Subji – Quick and Easy Vegetarian Cooking
Cauliflower Subji (vegetable dish) is a simple, tasty healthy recipe. Quick and easy to make! Recipe includes Cauliflower, Ayurvedic Spices and oil, and is a stir fried dish.
Ayurvedic Cauliflower Subji
This is a really tasty and easy way to prepare cauliflower. It is rich in vitamin C and a good source of fiber. Serves 4 – 6
- 1 large organic cauliflower, sliced very thin
- 4 Tbsp organic sunflower oil (or ghee)
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- ½ tsp hing (asafoetida) plus 1/8 tsp hing (Divided Use)
- 1 green serrano chili, minced or finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated, minced or finely chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp dhanna-jerra powder* (cumin and coriander mixture)
- ¼ tsp organic natural sugar
- ¼ tsp red chili powder (Optional)
- 3 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro leaves
Wash and slice (stand on its side and slice long and thin) cauliflower. Chop green chili and cilantro. Peel and chop ginger. Store each pre-prepared ingredient separately in refrigerator.
Wash cauliflower. Slice into very thin long strips that will fall apart from the side of the cauliflower. Set aside.
For chaunce (oil & spice mixture): In a large skillet or wok, add 4 Tbsp sunflower oil (or ghee) on low medium temperature. When oil gets hot, reduce heat. Add 1 tsp black mustard seeds. When seeds begin to pop, add ½ tsp hing, chopped serrano chili, 1 Tbsp ginger, ½ tsp turmeric and 1 tsp sea salt. Stir for 1 – 2 minutes.
Add cauliflower. Stir fry for 3 – 5 minutes. Add 1 Tbsp dhanna-jerra powder and 1/8 tsp hing. Mix together gently. Add ¼ tsp natural sugar and 3 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro. Stir gently to combine all ingredients.
Serve hot. A great easy dish. May need more salt …taste and adjust.
OPTIONAL: If you want a spicier dish, add ¼ tsp red chili powder.
NOTE: This is considered a dry subji dish; however, the end result should be a bit moist. Add purified water 1 Tbsp at a time, as needed, to keep it from being too dry.
* 1 ½ tsp cumin and 1 Tbsp coriander powders can be used to replace dhanna-jerra powder
For more low-fat, healthy, vegetarian Ayurvedic Recipes check out Elaine’s cookbook Cooking for The Guru: A Karma Free Diet.